How can I comply with applicable data protection laws?
Data protection laws are springing across the world. Over 80 countries have already constructed regulations, and your website needs to comply with those rules. In the European Union, we’ve got a well-known GDPR. In the USA, there are several laws, including HIPAA. In Great Britain, there’s a Data Protection Act 1998.
It takes a qualified lawyer to prepare and apply a legal policy for your website. But we can give you several options for safeguarding visitor’s data and complying with applicable laws.
Here are privacy options in Piwik PRO:
- Consent Manager: This module was designed to comply with a GDPR law. It lets you collect and manage visitor’s consents to data collection and tie consents with data usage. It also lets you collect and manage data subject requests. For more, read this article.
- Anonymize visitors’ IP addresses: With this option, you can choose to respect your visitors’s’ privacy by masking their IP addresses. For more, read this article.
- Respect do-not-track setting: When a visitor sets a do-not-track option in their browser, the browser will send a request to Piwik PRO. If this option is turned on, Piwik PRO will respect this request. For more, read this article.
- Let visitors opt out of tracking: This simple widget allows your visitors to choose not to be tracked by Piwik PRO. Although, this mechanism is not compliant with GDPR some organizations still choose to enable it instead of a proper consent mechanism. For more, read this article.
- Disable cookies for visitors: This option lets you disable cookies used for tracking. Use it carefully because it greatly affects data collection. For more, read this article.
- Choose the hosting method: When using our tool, you can choose a place where your data is hosted. Some countries require you to keep data in their area.
We also recommend the following blog posts: