Why is virtual page view important in funnel analytics?
Note: This method works for the classic version of Analytics. In the new version, you can create an event-based funnel.
In Analytics (classic), it’s not possible to track event-based funnels. So whenever you want to use an event as a funnel step, you need to set up a virtual page view. For example, if you want to track a funnel with the following steps: home page — product page — form submission, then you need to attach a virtual page view to the last element.
These are the most popular cases in which we use virtual page views:
- Turning a pop up or push notification into a virtual page view. For example:
- Turning an external payment gateway not tracked by Piwik PRO tracking code into a virtual page view. For example:
- Turning a click on an external link or a dynamic element that does not cause the page to reload, or doesn’t open a file like a PDF into a virtual page view. For example:
Set up virtual page view
To set up a virtual page view, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Tag Manager.
- Navigate to Tags.
- Click + Create new tag.
- Name the tag.
- Select the
Piwik PRO Virtual Page Viewtag type.
Document title, and
Referrer URLthat you want see in reports for this virtual page view.
- Click + Add new trigger.
- Name the trigger.
- Select the event type and adjust settings so that the virtual page view is tracked when the event occurs. For example,
Fire tag when the click ID contains btn.
- When you’re done, click Save for the trigger and Save for the tag.
- Click Publish.
After some time, data will be collected and you will be able to see virtual page views in your reports. For example, in the page report (Menu > Analytics > Actions > Pages) or in the page title report (Menu > Analytics > Actions > Page titles).
For more about event-based funnels in the new Analytics, read: Set Up a Funnel.