If you want to fully control the order in which tags fire on your website, you can set the priority and put them in a specific order. It is useful when you have related tags and one needs to run a script before the other one.
Before you start
Here are some things to know, before you begin sorting tags:
- By default, tags are fired in an unspecified order.
- Prioritized tags fire from top to bottom of the list and before other tags. Even if the previous tag hasn’t finished processing, the next tag will still fire because priority only affects the order.
- All sync tags fire before async tags.
To fire tags in a specific order, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Tag Manager.
- Navigate to Settings.
- On the left, click Tag priority.
- Choose which tags you want to work with: Async tags or Sync tags.
- On the list with available tags, mark tags you want to prioritize.
- Click the arrow to add selected tags to the list with prioritized tags.
- In Prioritized tags, drag and drop tags to set them in a specific order.
- When you’re done, click Save.
- Optionally, test your tags in debug mode.
- When you’re happy how tags work, click Publish.