If you collect data from a few subdomains using the same tracking code, you can turn on recognizing a visitor across subdomains. Then the visitor who goes from one subdomain to the other will be recognized as the same visitor. Sessions that would be treated as separate for each subdomain, will be treated as one session.
To turn on recognizing a visitor across subdomains, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Administration.
- Navigate to Websites & apps.
- Click Add new website or app.
- Name the website or app.
- In URLs, enter domains, for example,
https://help.clearbank.com, and click Save.
- Install the tracking code on your domains by following this guide.
- Go to Menu > Tag Manager.
- On the left, click Piwik PRO. This is the tag with the tracking code.
- In Data collection, turn on Recognize a visitor across subdomains.
- In Store a cookie on this domain, enter the wildcard, for example,
- When you’re done, click Save.
- Click Publish.