Integration for: Google Tag Manager (server-side)
When you use server-side Google Tag Manager to collect data for Google Analytics, you can use our integration to send that data to Piwik PRO. The integration uses a dedicated tag in Google Tag Manager. The tag sends tracked events from Google Tag Manager to Piwik PRO in real time.
To integrate, you’ll have to add a site or app in Piwik PRO, and then set up our dedicated tag in Google Tag Manager.
Before you start
Here are some things to know before you integrate with Google Tag Manager:
- This integration works best with Universal Analytics (GA3) because it has a similar data model to Piwik PRO. Some concepts of server-side tagging differ from regular web-based ones. Read more.
- Needed permission in Piwik PRO: owner.
- Needed permission in Google Tag Manager: administrator.
Add a site or app in Piwik PRO
To add a site or app in Piwik PRO, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Administration.
- Navigate to Sites & apps.
- Click Add a site or app.
- Type the site or app name and address, and click Save.
Note: If you want to track a few domains, add their addresses.
- Set the time zone and currency.
Note: We’ll show data in reports in this time zone. We’ll use this currency for goal revenue.
Integrate with Google Tag Manager (server-side)
To integrate with server-side Google Tag Manager, follow these steps:
- Download our dedicated tag.
Note: Our dedicated tag will soon be available in Google’s Tag Manager Template Gallery.
- Log in to Google Tag Manager.
- Open your server-side container.
- Go to Templates.
- In Tag Templates, click New.
- Click a three-dot icon in the top right corner and select Import.
- Upload the template you’ve downloaded in Step 1.
- Click Save.
- Navigate to Tags.
- Click New.
- Click Choose a tag type to begin setup…
- Choose Piwik PRO server-side from the list.
- In Account address, enter your Piwik PRO account address (Example:
- In Site or app ID, add the ID of the site or app in Piwik PRO where you want to send data. (Where to find it?).
- In Data collection, you can set the following parameters:
- Use default tracking paths: By default, all events will be sent to the default “ppms.php” endpoint. Turn this option off to set your own path.
- Anonymize data: If turned on, you won’t collect personal data like the visitor’s IP address and location data (only country data will be available).
- Send custom dimensions: If turned on, you’ll send a custom dimension with each event sent to Piwik PRO.
- If you turned on Send custom dimensions, you can now map them.
- Click Add a custom dimension.
- In Source Custom Dimension ID, add the ID from Google Analytics.
- In Piwik PRO Analytics Custom Dimension ID, add the ID from Piwik PRO.
- In Triggering, click Choose a trigger to make this tag fire.
- Choose the following trigger: All Pageviews or All Events. This is when the tracked event for Google Analytics will be sent to Piwik PRO.
- Click Save.
- Click Submit.
- Click Publish.
- Done! Now data will be sent to Piwik PRO in real time. In Piwik PRO reports, data will appear in about an hour. Data in the tracker debugger will appear instantly.