Integration for: Google Tag Manager (server-side)
When you use server-side Google Tag Manager to collect data for Google Analytics, you can use our integration to send that data to Piwik PRO. The integration uses a dedicated tag in Google Tag Manager. The tag sends tracked events from Google Tag Manager to Piwik PRO in real time.
To integrate, you’ll have to add a site or app in Piwik PRO, and then set up our dedicated tag in Google Tag Manager.
Here are some things to know before you start:
- Needed permissions in Piwik PRO: owner.
- Needed permissions in Google Tag Manager: administrator.
- This integration works best with Universal Analytics (GA3) because it has a similar data model to Piwik PRO. Some concepts of server-side tagging differ from regular web-based ones. Read more.
To add a site or app in Piwik PRO, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Administration.
- Navigate to Sites & apps.
- Click Add a site or app.
- Type the site or app name and address and click Save.
Note: If you want to track a few domains, add their addresses.
- Set the time zone and currency.
Note: We’ll show data in reports in this time zone. We’ll use this currency for goal revenue.
To integrate with server-side Google Tag Manager, follow these steps:
- Download our dedicated tag.
Note: Our dedicated tag will soon be available in Google’s Tag Manager Template Gallery.
- Log in to Google Tag Manager.
- Open your server-side container.
- Go to Templates.
- In Tag Templates, click New.
- Click the ⋯ three-dot icon in the upper right corner and select Import.
- Upload the template you’ve downloaded in step 1.
- Click Save.
- Navigate to Tags.
- Click New.
- Click Choose a tag type to begin setup…
- Choose Piwik PRO server-side from the list.
- In Account address, enter your Piwik PRO account address (Example:
- In Site or app ID, add the ID of the site or app in Piwik PRO where you want to send data. (Where to find it?).
- In Data collection, you can set the following parameters:
- Use default tracking paths: By default, all events will be sent to the default “ppms.php” endpoint. Turn this option off to set your own path.
- Anonymize data: If turned on, you won’t collect personal data like the visitor’s IP address and location data (only country data will be available).
- Send custom dimensions: If turned on, you’ll send a custom dimension with each event sent to Piwik PRO.
- If you turned on Send custom dimensions, you can now map them.
- Click Add a custom dimension.
- In Source Custom Dimension ID, add the ID from Google Analytics.
- In Piwik PRO Analytics Custom Dimension ID, add the ID from Piwik PRO.
- In Triggering, click Choose a trigger to make this tag fire.
- Choose the following trigger: All Pageviews or All Events. This is when the tracked event for Google Analytics will be sent to Piwik PRO.
- Click Save.
- Click Submit.
- Click Publish.
- Done! Data is now sent to Piwik PRO in real time. Data will appear in reports in about an hour. Data in the tracker debugger will appear instantly.