If you’re not using Consent Manager to collect and manage visitor consents, you can use our opt-out form, which lets visitors choose not to be tracked. Just keep in mind that this form doesn’t comply with GDPR regulations. So, if your site is used in GDPR-regulated countries, it’s better to switch to Consent Manager.
In this article, we’ll show you how to set up the opt-out form on your website and clarify its effect on tracking.
Here are some things to know before you start:
- Visitors are opted-in by default. If they want to opt out, they can do so by checking the opt-out box on the form.
- You can customize the form’s code to match your website’s look.
- When using an opt-out form, make sure that Respect opt-out and DNT is on for each tag. This setting prevents tags from activating for visitors who have opted out. It’s usually turned on by default, but it’s a good idea to double-check.
To install the opt-out form on your website, follow these steps:
Available from version 16.0.0. For versions below 16.0.0, go to Menu > Administration > Platform > Opt-out generator.
- Go to Menu > Administration.
- Navigate to Settings.
- On the left, click Opt-out form.
- Type the message you want to show to your visitors.
- Click Preview to see how the message will appear on your website after installation. The message will adopt your website’s CSS styles, so it will look different from this preview.
- When you’re happy with how the form looks, copy the code and paste it into your website.
- The opt-out form is now on your page. In the next steps, you need to make sure that Respect opt-out and DNT is turned on for the tracking tag.
- Go to Menu > Tag Manager.
- Navigate to Tags.
- On the left, click Piwik PRO.
- In Advanced tag settings, turn on Respect opt-out and DNT.
Note: If turned on, this tag won’t fire for visitors who opt out of tracking using our consent form. Make sure that all tags that you use to collect data have this option turned on.
- Click Save.
- Check the other tags.
- You can also use debug mode to see how tags behave for opted-out visitors. Click Debug in the upper right corner.
- Your website will open in a new tab in debug mode.
- Turn on Simulate opt-out.
- If the tag has Respect opt-out and DNT on, you’ll see Opted out next to it.
- When you’re happy with how the tags work, click Publish.
- All done!