If you collect data from multiple subdomains using a shared tracking code, you can use cross-subdomain tracking. This means when a visitor moves from one subdomain to another, they’ll be recognized as the same person. Instead of treating sessions separately for each subdomain, they’ll be treated as one session.
To turn on cross-subdomain visitor recognition, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Administration.
- Navigate to Sites & apps.
- Click Add a site or app.
- Name the site or app.
- In Site or app address, type addresses. Example:
- Install the container (with the tracking code) on both sites by following this guide.
- Go to Menu > Tag Manager.
- On the left, click Piwik PRO. This is the tag with the tracking code.
- In Data collection, turn on Recognize a visitor across subdomains.
- In Store a cookie on this domain, enter a wildcard. Example:
- When you’re done, click Save.
- Click Publish.
- All done!