The Piwik PRO virtual page view tag lets you create a virtual page to track elements on your website. The virtual page is not real, but it appears in reports as a real page — it has the page URL and the page title. If you type the virtual page URL in the browser, you won’t find the page. It only exists to help you analyze something.
To create and set up the Piwik PRO virtual page view tag, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Tag Manager.
- Navigate to Tags.
- Click Add new tag.
- Name the tag and select the following type: Piwik PRO virtual page view.
Document titlethat you want to see in reports for this virtual page view.
Note: You can track a previously created custom dimension by picking the index number of the dimension and providing its value. For more, read this article.
- In Advanced tag settings, choose Consent type. Set it up if you use Consent Manager. The tag will fire only when selected consent is given by a visitor.
- Respect visitor privacy is turned on by default. Leave it as is, if you want to respect visitors who set a Do-Not-Track option in their browser or opted out from tracking.
- Enable document.write is turned off by default. Toggle this option, if your tag needs
- In Flight dates, set the date and time when the tag is fired.
- In Tag triggers, click Add new trigger or Choose existing trigger to set up a trigger for your tag.
- Adjust trigger conditions.
Tip: We usually use the click trigger that fires a tag when a visitor clicks a particular click ID.
- When you’re done, click OK for the trigger
- Click Save for the tag.
- Test your tag in debug mode.
- When you’re happy how the tag works, click Publish.
- After some time, data will be collected and you will be able to see virtual page views in your reports. For example, in Menu > Analytics > Pages.