How to Create a Custom Report
Creating a custom report is a simple process and takes a few clicks. Once you know what you want to build, pick a type of report and select dimensions and metrics for your report. You can use filters to dig out meaningful data. Yet, keep in mind that each report type has some conditions that need to be met for it to work well.
To create a new report in Custom Reports, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Analytics (new) .
- Navigate to Custom Reports
- Click Add new report.
- Pick the report you’d like to use. You can choose from these types: flat table, explorer, bar chart, and line chart.
- Name the report. The name must be unique within a single website.
- Set up visibility for this report. You can make it visible only for you or for all your teammates.
- Choose dimensions and metrics for your report. Drag and drop elements from the ride-hand menu to the left-hand drop point.
- Optionally, apply filters to metrics or dimensions.
- Click Refresh preview to sneak peek at the data. The data will appear for the last 7 days.
- When happy with the report, click Create report.
Rules for reports
While setting up different report types, you need to be aware of some conditions that need to be met. Otherwise the reports will not work properly.
- At least one dimension and at least one metric must be added to the table.
- To build a report, you need to add at least one dimension in the Dimensions field and at least one metric in the table section.
- In the field Dimensions, you can add only dimensions. These will be your nested tables that you’ll be able to drill-down.
- You can add metrics in the table section only. You can’t drill-down by a metric.
- You can add up to 5 dimensions to the drill-down configuration.
- You can add dimensions to the table.
- At least one dimension must be added to the chart.
- At least one metric must be added to the chart.
- At most two dimensions may be added to the chart when plotting a single metric.
- At most one dimension may be added to the chart when plotting multiple metrics (up to 5 metrics may be plotted in this case).
- Selected metrics must have at most two distinct unit types (e.g. currency and percentages)
- Date dimension may not be removed from the chart.
- When using only the Date dimension:
- Up to 5 metrics may be plotted.
- Selected metrics must have at most two distinct unit types (e.g. currency and percentages).
- When using two dimensions (date and one extra dimension), exactly one metric must be selected (this metric will be broken over the second dimension).
Filters in Custom Reports
When creating a new report in Custom Reports you can use filters to strip of data that are not important for you. By default, the filters are turned off and you don’t need to apply them for your reports.
To use a filter in Custom Reports, follow these steps:
- While creating a new report, scroll down until you see the Filters section.
- Drag and drop a dimension or metric from the right-hand menu to the left-hand drop point.
- Select a condition for each dimension or metric.
You can create as many conditions as you wish to, and connect them with
AND logic operators. The dynamic filtering by segment will not override these filter. Both sets of filters will be applied sequentially.