Use meta sites to merge data from websites
Available from version 10.0.0.
Meta sites let you combine data from two or more websites in Piwik PRO to analyze it holistically. We’ve designed meta sites to save you the time you spend on copying, pasting, and calculating data for separate websites.
Let’s say you have two websites in Piwik PRO, one for the product site
clearbank.com, the second for the blog
blog.clearbank.com. You track them separately using different tracking codes because you know they have different purposes. By keeping them separate you can focus on statistics for one site and the others won’t distract you. But, from time to time, you want to combine data for those sites to see summed-up statistics. In that case, you can reach for meta sites.
In this article, we’ll explain to you how to set up and use meta sites.
Before you start
Before you begin working with meta sites, here are some things to know:
- Meta sites created in the old Analytics won’t appear in the new Analytics, and vice versa.
- If you want to share the meta site with your teammates, you need to grant permissions to the user or user group for each meta site.
- Meta sites don’t track the visitor across domains or subdomains and the visitor who moves from one domain to another domain is counted separately for each website.
- If you want to see goals and custom dimensions in meta sites, we’d need to help you with customized setup.
- You can create a meta site only when you have an owner account level.
Create a meta site
To create a meta site, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Administration.
- Navigate to Meta sites.
- Click Add new meta site.
- Name the meta site.
- Click Add website to meta site.
- From the website list, pick websites that you want to connect and move them to the right column.
- Click OK.
- If your websites use different time zones and currency, adjust it for the meta site. Decide on one time zone and currency, and data for both websites will show according to that setup. Piwik PRO will not calculate the currency, it’ll simply change one to another, for example, 10 USD to 10 EUR.
- Navigate to Permissions, and grant permissions for users or user groups.
View reports for a meta site
Once the meta site is ready, you can start exploring reports for connected websites.
To view reports for a meta site, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Analytics (new).
- Navigate to Dashboards, Reports or Custom Reports.
- In the top-right corner, click the website picker.
- Pick the meta site you want to work with.
- If you have trouble finding the meta site, use the filter to show only meta sties.
- Open the report you want to see, for example, the page report.
Create a custom report to compare websites
When looking at core reports, you will see summed-up data for connected websites. But if you’d like to have a report that shows split data for those websites, you’ll need to build a custom report.
To create a custom report comparing websites, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Analytics (new).
- Navigate to Custom reports.
- Click Add new report.
- Choose the report type, for example, a flat table.
- Name the report.
- Set Visibility for the report. You can make it visible only for you or for all your teammates.
- On the right, find the
- Drag and drop the element from the ride-hand menu to the left-hand drop point.
- Add dimensions and metrics you want to see in the report.
- Optionally, add a filter for the report.
- When done, click Create report.
- View the report.