Meta sites & apps help you see data from a few sites or apps in a single report or on a single dashboard. You still have your sites or apps as separate entities. You track them with a unique tracking code. Meta sites & apps are just a way to combine collected data and analyze them together.
A good example can be when we have a product site
clearbank.com and a blog
blog.clearbank.com. We collect data for each site separately because they have different goals and audiences. But if we want to see combined data from both of them, we can create a meta site & app and go through reports seeing all data.
In this article, we’ll explain to you how to set up and use meta sites & apps.
Before you begin working with meta sites & apps, here are some things to know:
- If you want to share the meta sites & apps with your teammates, you need to grant permissions to the user or group for each meta site & app.
- Meta sites & apps combine data, but they don’t track a visitor across domains or subdomains. The visitor who moves from one site to another is counted separately for each website.
To create a meta site & app, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Administration.
- Navigate to Meta sites & apps.
- Click Add a meta site or app.
- Name the meta site & app.
- Click Add a site or app to meta site.
- From the website list, pick websites that you want to connect and move them to the right column.
- Click OK.
- If your websites use different time zones and currency, adjust it for the meta site. Decide on one time zone and currency, and data for both websites will show according to that setup. Piwik PRO will not calculate the currency, it’ll simply change one to another, for example, 10 USD to 10 EUR.
- In Integrations, display or hide Show ecommerce reports and Show SharePoint reports in Analytics for meta sites.
- Navigate to Permissions, and grant permissions for users or groups.
To view reports for a meta site & app, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Analytics.
- Navigate to Dashboards, Reports or Custom reports.
- In the top-right corner, click the website picker.
- Pick the meta site you want to work with.
- If you have trouble finding the meta site, use the filter to show only meta sties.
- Open the report you want to see, for example, the page report.
When looking at core reports, you will see summed-up data for connected websites. But if you’d like to have a report that shows split data for those websites, you’ll need to build a custom report.
To create a custom report comparing websites, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Analytics.
- Navigate to Custom reports.
- Click Add new report.
- Choose the report type, for example, a flat table.
- Name the report.
- In Visibility, set: Author or All users. The All users option lets you share this model with other teammates.
- On the right, find the
- Drag and drop the element from the ride-hand menu to the left-hand drop point.
- Add dimensions and metrics you want to see in the report.
- Optionally, add a filter for the report.
- When you’re done, click Create report.
- View the report.