For Consent Manager purpose each tag, content, and pop-up served by Tag Manager or Personalization needs to be labeled with the proper type. All tag templates have default types values but you can change it manually if you need to. If the GDPR compliance is on, each tracking of tracking types requires visitor’s consent.
Here’s a list of all types of tags that correspond to consents in Consent Manager:
- Analytics – web and mobile app analytics data tracking for basic information like IP address, device and browser information, etc.
- A/B Testing and Personalization – tags for A/B tests via third-party vendors and personalized offers targeted to visitor segments.
- Conversion Tracking – designed to track when and how visitors accomplish desired actions (purchases, downloads, form completions, etc.).
- Marketing Automation – for audience segmentation in order to schedule and track marketing campaigns.
- Remarketing – set cookies and display ads to visitors after they leave your site.
- User Feedback – collects information about user experience from visitor behavior and feedback.
- Custom type – you can define its properties. You’ll also be able to customize the consent message (define the data processing purpose) in the consent dialog design section.
The user can also assign a non-tracking type. Then the chosen tag/content/pop-up won’t require consent to be fired.
The type of a non-tracking tag is as follows:
- Does not require consent – a broad category for any tag that will not ask visitors for their consent. Tags in this category will execute automatically with or without consent. These tags run functional code that doesn’t track visitors, collect personal data or perform any other processing requiring consent.
Setting up the tag type
To set up the tag type, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Tag Manager.
- From the website picker, choose the website you want to work with.
- Choose the tag you want to edit or add a new one.
- In Advanced tag settings, pick the tag type.
- When done, click Save.
- Publish the tag.