Note: This integration is for Microsoft Power BI Desktop only. We plan to release the integration for Microsoft Power BI service in a few months.
When you want to use data collected by Piwik PRO in Microsoft Power BI, you need to use our custom data connector in Microsoft Power BI. After the integration is done, you can start creating powerful data visualizations on dashboards and reports in Microsoft Power BI.
To integrate with Microsoft Power BI, follow these steps:
Note: This integration is in beta and isn’t listed in Microsoft Power BI extensions yet. We plan to publish it there soon. Until then, you need to add the extension manually.
- Update your Microsoft Power BI Desktop to the latest version.
- Download the file with our connector.
- On your computer, find this directory:
My Documents\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\Custom Connectors. If the directory doesn’t exist, create one.
- Add the downloaded file with our connector to the folder
Custom Connectorsin the found directory:
My Documents\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\Custom Connectors.
- Open your Microsoft Power BI Desktop.
- Go to File > Options and settings > Options > Security.
- In Data Extensions, check Allow any extension to load without validation or warning.
- Click Save.
- Done! Now the extension is available in your Microsoft Power BI Desktop, and you can connect to Piwik PRO.
- Create a new workbook or data source.
- Click Get Data.
- Look for Piwik PRO Analytics. This is our connector.
- Click Connect.
- Click Continue.
- In Account name, enter your account name.
Tip: Your account name is the first part of your account address: example in example.piwik.pro. For custom domains, check your account name under Piwik PRO > Menu > Administration > Settings > Subscription.
- In Site or app ID, enter the ID. Where to find it?
- Add a start date and end date in the YYYY-MM-DD format. Example: 2021-12-01.
Tip: To test your connection, choose data from just one or two days. There’ll be less data to download.
- In Data scope, choose Session or Event.
- Click OK.
- On the confirmation screen, enter your client ID and client secret. Where to find it?
- Click Confirm.
- All done! Your data will soon appear in Microsoft Power BI Desktop.
- Click Load to load all data or Transform Data if you want to do some transformations first.