Why do visitor IP addresses end with zeros?
The visitor IP address ends with zeros because it is masked. By default Piwik PRO masks 2 last bytes of the IP address. This may make data about location inaccurate, but it’ll be a fair option if you choose to be respectful to your visitor privacy. However, if you want to select other option like 1 or 3 bite masking, you’re free to do that.
Depending on the masking option you choose, in reports you will see an IP address like that:
- 192.168.100.0 (1 byte masked)
- 192.168.0.0 (2 bytes masked)
- 192.0.0.0. (3 bytes masked)
To change the way you anonymize the visitor IP address, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Analytics settings.
- From the left-hand list, select Privacy.
- Choose an option for making users anonymous, and click Save.
Read more: About IP anonymization.