Analyzing funnel metrics over time
September 14, 2018
Similarly to other reports, starting from PPMS version 6.2, funnel metrics can be analyzed over time. Each funnel step including the final conversion can be visualized on a graph in a Row Evolution report. There are 11 metrics to choose from that can be represented on the diagram and compared to each other.
Displaying Row Evolution report for funnel step
To access the Row Evolution report for a given funnel step go to the Funnel report and click on the graph icon next to the step’s name.
Funnel metrics available on a step level
The Row Evolution report shows some additional metrics which aren’t presented anywhere else. You can select a metric to be represented on the graph by clicking on the metric’s name or the sparkline chart next to it. To choose several metrics at the time use SHIFT + CLICK.
The definitions of the funnel step metrics
- events – number of funnel event occurrences for a particular funnel step;
- entrances – number of all entrances (both from within the website and external) to the funnel in a particular funnel step;
- internal entrances – number of entrances from within the website to the funnel in a particular funnel step;
- external entrances – number of entrances to the funnel in a particular step from outside of the website including direct, campaign, website and search engine sources. Funnel visualization shows them all grouped as Direct Entry;
- continuations – number of visits that continued through funnel from a particular step (if funnel definition allows skipping funnel steps than this number will show both the immediately following steps and steps further down the funnel);
- next step continuations – number of visits that continued from a particular step to the immediately following step;
- skipped step continuations – number of visits that continued from a particular funnel step to other than the immediately following step;
- continuation rate – percentage of visits that continued down the funnel from a particular step;
- exits – number of all exits from the funnel from a particular step, including exits to a page within the website and leaving the website;
- external exits – number of exits from a particular funnel step which lead out of the website;
- internal exits – number of visits that left the funnel in a particular step but continued in the website.
The values next to the metrics’ names show the metrics’ change over the time, along with the percentage value of that change.
Hovering your mouse cursor over these values will display a tooltip with the metrics’ minimums and maximums over the same period.
You can decide how many periods you want to see on the graphs by changing the Rows to display selection in the right-lower corner of the graph. The available options depend on the time period selected for reports (daily, weekly, monthly or yearly). The selection will not affect the numbers shown next to the metrics’ names.
As any other row evolution report, this one gives you the option to add annotations to take a note of important events that could have influenced the change of metrics.
You can also export the report, the possible formats including CSV, Excel or image.