Create a custom dimension (classic)
A custom dimension lets you send an additional parameter to Piwik PRO. In this article, we’ll show you how to set it up.
Set up a custom dimension
Before using custom dimensions you need to define them in you settings.
To add a custom dimension, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Analytics settings.
- Navigate to Custom Dimensions.
- Choose the scope for which you want to create a dimension. It can be either
- Click Configure a new dimension.
- Name the dimension.
- Click Active and click Create.
- When you use a visit dimension, you can extract the value of the dimension from the page URL, page title or URL parameter.
- When you’re done, not the slot number of the custom dimension and continue the settings in Tag Manager.
Set up tracker
Now that we have a custom dimension ready we need to add it to Piwik PRO Tag that is used for tracking.
To add a custom dimension to Piwik PRO Tag, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Tag Manager.
- Navigate to Tags.
- On the left, select Piwik PRO.
- In Custom dimensions, click + Custom dimension.
- Type in the slot number of the custom dimension that you set in the settings and choose a variable or preset value that should be saved as a value.
- When you’re done, click Save for the tag.
- Click Publish to make the tag go live.
Custom dimension report
In Analytics (classic), each custom dimension report is added to the list of reports in Visitor or Action reports.
Piwik PRO offers 5 slots for each of the dimension scope. However, raising that limit is not a problem. Just contact us, and we’ll raise it to the number you want.