When you want to use data collected by Piwik PRO in Tableau, you need to integrate one product with another. The integration uses the web data connector for Tableau and takes a few clicks to complete. After it’s done, you can comfortably visualize your data in Tableau.
To integrate with Tableau, follow these steps:
- Open Tableau Desktop.
- Go to Connect > Web Data Connector.
- Enter this URL:
<your_account_name>to your account name.
- Click Enter.
- You’ll see our setup screen.
- Log in to Piwik PRO.
- Go to Menu > User panel.
- Navigate to API Credentials.
- Click Generate new credentials.
- Name the credentials and click OK.
- Copy the created client ID and client secret. They won’t be available for you after closing the window.
Note: If you plan to update your data in the future, save your client ID and client secret securely. You won’t need to create new credentials then.
- Paste the client ID and client secret in the web data connector.
- Click Authorize.
- Choose the site, app or meta site from which you want to import data.
- Choose a scope: events or sessions.
- Events: This scope stores dimensions related to events. If you use the incremental refresh in Tableau, the received data will be 1 – 2 days late.
- Sessions: This scope stores dimensions related to sessions. If you use the incremental refresh in Tableau, the received data will be 1 – 2 days late.
- Click Next.
- Choose dates and dimensions that you want to import.
Note: Timestamp, session ID, event ID and visitor ID are always imported. They don’t appear on this list.
- Click Next.
- Optionally, add filters.
- When you’re done, click Finish.
- The connector will now download the data schema.
- Open a worksheet in Tableau and wait while the connector imports all your data.
Note: Importing data may take from several minutes to several hours. This time depends on the size of the data set.
- When the import is finished, you can start your analysis.
Note: After connecting your data, you can update it at any time by using the incremental refresh in Tableau. You’ll need to authorize the update using API credentials. Also, keep in mind that for events and sessions the received data will be 1 – 2 days late.