What is the difference between Custom Dimensions and Custom Variables?
The features are pretty similar, but there are a few main differences between them:
- Values of CD are limited to 255 characters whereas CV are limited to 200;
- Custom Dimensions are more efficient as they need less storage and reports can be generated faster;
- Custom Dimensions are easier to track since only Custom Dimension ID and the Value need to be set in the tracker whereas, for Custom Variables, the Name, Scope, Index, and Value need to be set during tracking;
- Custom Dimensions are easier to segment as the segment name will be the name of your Custom Dimension in the UI;
- Each Custom Dimension has its own report while Custom Variable has all one shared report.
To find out more, take a look at our article about Differences between Custom Variables and Custom Dimensions.