The Hotjar Tracking Code tag lets you use heat maps to see how people use your website and collect visitor’s feedback. With Tag Manager, you can set it up in a hassle-free way.
Before you set up the tag, you need to find the the Hotjar ID. To find it, follow these steps:
- Go to Hotjar > Settings.
- Navigate to Sites & Organizations.
- Click Tracking code.
- Copy the Hotjar ID (
To set up a Hotjar Tracking Code tag, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Tag Manager.
- Navigate to Tags.
- Click Add a tag.
- Name the tag and select the following type: Hotjar Tracking Code.
- Click Next.
- Paste the Hotjar ID.
- In Advanced tag settings, choose Consent type. Set it up if you use a consent form on your site. This tag will fire only for visitors who accept the selected consent type.
- Respect opt-out and DNT is turned on by default. Leave it as is, if you want to respect visitors who set Do-Not-Track in their browsers, or visitors who opt out of tracking using our opt-out form.
- Enable document.write is turned off by default. Toggle this option, if your tag needs
- In Flight dates, set the date and time when the tag is fired.
- In Tag triggers, click Add a trigger or Choose existing trigger to set up a trigger for your tag.
- Adjust trigger conditions.
- When you’re done, click OK for the trigger.
- Click Save for the tag.
- Test your tag in debug mode.
- When you’re happy how the tag works, click Publish.