How to Organize Your Reports
By Anna Tomalik
So far, you’ve learned about segments, reports, and tagging campaigns. You’ve surely noticed that there are tons of metrics with different meanings in reports. Each report can show you visitor behavior from a unique perspective. Depending on the angle you want to look from, you can compose reports using features like dashboard, comparison dashboard, and export data. They will help you organize reports and keep data spick and span.
The dashboard lets you see the reports of your choice at a glance. You can create several dashboards and set them up as you wish. By default, the main dashboard is composed of a few reports. You can modify it or create a new dashboard.
To create a new dashboard, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Analytics.
- You are in the default Dashboard.
- In the drop-down Dashboard menu, click Create new dashboard.
- Give a name to your dashboard, pick an empty dashboard, and click OK.
- From the drop-down Dashboard menu pick Change dashboard layout, and select a layout.
- From the drop-down Dashboard menu pick a new report (a widget).
- Pick more reports, and drag and drop them in a layout to organize it as you wish.
All widgets, available from the drop-down dashboard menu, are the reports that you’ve seen in visitor, action, referrer reports. Once you set up goals and funnels, the reports for them will also be available for any dashboard. (We will explain goals and funnels in the next course).
Whenever you’d like to remove a report from your dashboard, follow these steps:
- Hover over the right upper corner of the report, until you see the icons for various tools.
- Click the X button and confirm your choice by clicking yes on the pop-up.
Whenever you want to compare two or three websites or segments, you can use a comparison dashboard. On the dashboard, you can put together reports you want to have compared, choose the date range, websites, and segments.
To view and set up a comparison dashboard, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Analytics.
- In the left-hand menu, click Comparison and pick the Compare Segments report.
- From the website drop-down menu, choose a website.
- From the segment drop-down menu, choose a segment.
- From the Dashboard drop-down menu, choose a report (widget) that you want to compare. You can add several reports if you wish to.
- View the report.
Every time you want to use a spreadsheet to work with your data you can export one from a report. It can help you with in-depth researches of your website, as well as with collecting data from various reports. You can simply put together several reports with various metrics and keep only the data most important to you.
To export data from the report, follow these steps:
- Hover over the left down corner of the report, until you see the icons for various tools.
- Click on the export tool icon and select the format file.
- Open the exported file in a spreadsheet — Excel, Google Spreadsheet, Numbers, and more.
If you want to use data in a spreadsheet, you can export the report to a CSV, TSV (Excel), or XML file. For more advanced tools, use a JSON, or PHP file format.
Tip: You can receive any report straight to your mailbox. To schedule an email report go to Menu > Analytics settings > Email reports and set up a new report. The report can be set to recur every day, week or month.