Data protection laws are springing across the world. Over 80 countries have already constructed regulations, and your website needs to comply with those rules. In the European Union, we’ve got a well-known GDPR. In the USA, there are several laws, including HIPAA. In Great Britain, there’s a Data Protection Act 1998.
It takes a qualified lawyer to prepare and apply a legal policy for your website. But we can give you several options for safeguarding visitor’s data and complying with applicable laws.
Here are privacy options in Piwik PRO:
- Consent Manager: With this module, you can collect and manage visitor’s consents. You can use a consent form and manage visitor’s data requests. This module is integrated with Tag Manager. You can set up a consent type for each tags and fire the tag only for visitors who consent. Read more
- Mask visitors’ IP addresses: With this option, you can use an additional layer to protect visitor privacy. Read more
- Respect visitor privacy: This option is turned on for each tag by default. When it’s turned on, you don’t collect data from visitors who set a Do-Not-Track option in their browsers. Read more
- Let visitors opt out of tracking: This simple widget allows your visitors to choose not to be tracked by Piwik PRO. Although, this mechanism is not compliant with GDPR some organizations still choose to enable it instead of a proper consent mechanism. Read more
- Turn off a session ID: You can decide not to use a session ID to recognize visitor’s sessions. Read more
- Choose the hosting method: When using our tool, you can choose a place where your data is hosted. Some countries require you to keep data in their area.
We also recommend the following blog posts: