Turn on or off Consent Manager
Needed permissions: owner
Consent Manager can be turned on or off on your website. Here’s what happens:
- When it’s turned on, each visitor is asked for consent before any data is collected and any tag is fired. (If an anonymous tracking option is turned on, data is collected even if there’s no consent decision or when a visitor doesn’t agree to tracking.)
- When it’s turned off, each visitor is tracked normally and all tags are fired.
To turn on Consent Manager, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Administration.
- Navigate to Websites & apps.
- On the left, pick a website or app you want to work with.
- In Settings, scroll until you see Privacy.
- In Consent Manager, click Configure.
- Toggle Consent Manager.
- Adjust additional settings:
- Collect consents only from EU visitors: Consent forms will be shown only to visitors from the European Union based on their IP addresses.
Here’s a list of countries that are currently a part of EU: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, UK, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland.
- Anonymous data tracking: It lets you collect non-identifiable data when visitors don’t agree to data collection. For more, read this article.
- Share consent decision between websites: It lets you set a cookie domain when you’re showing a consent form on many websites. For example, if you have
www.app.clearbank.com, and you want to show the same consent form, you need to set one cookie domain. For that, you’ll use a wildcard such as
*.clearbank.com. Both websites need to be tracked under one website in Piwik PRO (they need to have the same container with the tracking code — Piwik PRO tag).
- Privacy cookie timeout: It lets you set for how long the cookie is stored in visitor’s browser. After the cookie expires, the visitor is asked again for the consent.
- When you’re done, click OK.
Now when Consent Manager is turned on your website, you need to set an appropriate type for each tag in Tag Manager.
For more, read how to create a tag.