The session log report is a list of all the visits to your website, starting with the most recent. It shows information about the visitor, such as their location, the device they used, and whether they are new or returning. It also reveals the details about their session, such as how they found your website (channel), what goals they completed (goal conversions), and what actions they took (events). This report can help you understand in great detail how people interact with your website.
In this article, we’ll explain how to access and work with the session log report.
Before you begin working with the session log report, here are some things to know about it:
- The session log report doesn’t show real-time data. The data appears after 30 minutes to one hour after the visitor finished the session. If you want to see real-time sessions, go to the tracker debugger.
- In the report, you can use segments, but you can’t compare segments.
- You can use a quick filter to view sessions that meet wanted conditions, for example, sessions with completed goals.
- You can view all sessions for a given visitor.
Available from 16.4.0You can export this report to the CSV, JSON, or JSON (key-value) file format. The export is limited to 1,000,000 events.
To view the report, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Analytics.
- Navigate to Reports.
- On the left, click Session log.
- View the report.
- For each session, you can view details about the visitor and session.
- For each session, you can view the stream of viewed pages and events.
Anytime, if you want to apply a filter to view sessions with conditions, follow these steps:
- In the session log report, click the drop-down filter menu.
- Pick the condition type that you want to use, for example
- Set the condition and click Filter.
From each session in the visitor log report, you can move to the visitor session report that shows you all sessions performed by this visitor. With this information at hand, you can analyze thoroughly how each visitor behaves from session to session.
To see data for the visitor sessions report, follow these steps:
- In the session log report, click View visitor sessions.
- View sessions for that visitor.