The Goal conversion tag lets you set up goals manually. It’s used when tracking goals with standard methods is impossible. In Tag Manager, you can set it up in a hassle-free way.
Before you set up the tag, you need to create a goal in Analytics, select manual tracking, and copy the goal ID.
Tip: To find the goal ID go to Menu > Analytics > Goals.
To set up a goal conversion tag, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Tag Manager.
- Navigate to Tags.
- Click Add a tag.
- Name the tag and select the following type: Goal conversion.
- Click Next.
- Paste the goal ID and optionally set revenue.
Tip: You can add a goal ID and revenue dynamically using variables in Tag Manager.
Note: You can track a previously created custom dimension by picking the index number of the dimension and providing its value. For more, read this article.
- In Advanced tag settings, choose Consent type. Set it up if you use a consent form on your site. This tag will fire only for visitors who accept the selected consent type.
- Respect opt-out and DNT is turned on by default. Leave it as is, if you want to respect visitors who set Do-Not-Track in their browsers, or visitors who opt out of tracking using our opt-out form.
- In Flight dates, set the date and time when the tag is fired.
- In Tag triggers, click Add a trigger or Choose existing trigger to set up a trigger for your tag.
- Adjust trigger conditions.
- When you’re done, click OK for the trigger.
- Click Save for the tag.
- Test your tag in debug mode.
- When you’re happy with how the tag works, click Publish.