The Custom event tag lets you track an event on your website. For example, you can track a button click, page-scroll depth, newsletter signup, or another event.
Each custom event consists of four elements: event category, action, and optionally name and value. After setting up the tag, these elements appear in the custom event report.
To create and set up the custom event tag, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Tag Manager.
- Navigate to Tags.
- Click Add a tag.
- Name the tag and select the following type: Custom event.
- Click Next.
Action, and optionally
Valuethat you want see in reports for this event.
Note: You can track a previously created custom dimension along with the event by picking the index number of the dimension and providing its value. For more, read this article.
- In Advanced tag settings, choose Consent type. Set it up if you use a consent form on your site. This tag will fire only for visitors who accept the selected consent type.
- Respect opt-out and DNT is turned on by default. Leave it as is, if you want to respect visitors who set Do-Not-Track in their browsers, or visitors who opt out of tracking using our opt-out form.
- Enable document.write is turned off by default. Toggle this option, if your tag needs
- In Flight dates, set the date and time when the tag is fired.
- In Tag triggers, click Add a trigger or Choose existing trigger to set up a trigger for your tag.
- Adjust trigger conditions.
- When you’re done, click OK for the trigger.
- Click Save for the tag.
- Test your tag in debug mode.
- When you’re happy how the tag works, click Publish.
- After some time, data will be collected and you will be able to see the event under Menu > Analytics > Reports > Custom events.