Piwik PRO custom event tag
The Piwik PRO custom event tag lets you track an event on your website. For example, you can track a button click, page-scroll depth, newsletter signup, or another event.
Each custom event consists of four elements: event category, action, and optionally name and value. After setting up the tag, these elements appear in the custom event report.
To create and set up the Piwik PRO custom event tag, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Tag Manager.
- Navigate to Tags.
- Click + Create new tag.
- Name the tag and select the Piwik PRO custom event tag.
Action, and optionally
Valuethat you want see in reports for this event.
- In Advanced tag settings, set the tag type. By default, it’s set to be displayed to visitors who consent to Analytics, but you can change it to a different type.
- By default, the Respect visitor privacy is turned on. Leave it as is, if you want to respect visitors who set a do-not-track option in their browser.
- In Flight dates, set time during which you want to run the tag.
- In Tag triggers, click + New trigger or + Existing trigger to set up a trigger for your tag.
- Adjust trigger conditions.
- When you’re done, click Save for the trigger and click Save for the tag.
- Test your tag in debug mode.
- When you’re happy how the tag works, click Publish.
Note: You can track a previously created custom dimension by picking the index number of the dimension and providing its value. For more, read Create a custom dimension.
After some time, data will be collected and you will be able to see the event in the custom event reports (Menu > Analytics (new) > Reports > Custom events).
Analytics (classic): Menu > Analytics > Actions > Events
Tip: Read our guide Analytics for Advanced in which we explain how the event tracking works and share plenty of useful examples.