Piwik PRO custom event tag
The Piwik PRO custom event tag lets you track an event on your website. For example, you can track a button click, page-scroll depth, newsletter signup, or another event.
Each custom event consists of four elements: event category, action, and optionally name and value. After setting up the tag, these elements appear in the custom event report.
To create and set up the Piwik PRO custom event tag, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Tag Manager.
- Navigate to Tags.
- Click Add new tag.
- Name the tag and select the following type: Piwik PRO custom event.
- Click Next.
Action, and optionally
Valuethat you want see in reports for this event.
Note: You can track a previously created custom dimension by picking the index number of the dimension and providing its value. For more, read this article.
- In Advanced tag settings, choose Consent type. Set it up if you use Consent Manager. The tag will fire only when selected consent is given by a visitor.
- Respect visitor privacy is turned on by default. Leave it as is, if you want to respect visitors who set a Do-Not-Track option in their browser or opted out from tracking.
- Enable document.write is turned off by default. Toggle this option, if your tag needs
- In Flight dates, set the date and time when the tag is fired.
- In Tag triggers, click Add new trigger or Choose existing trigger to set up a trigger for your tag.
- Adjust trigger conditions.
- When you’re done, click OK for the trigger.
- Click Save for the tag.
- Test your tag in debug mode.
- When you’re happy how the tag works, click Publish.
- After some time, data will be collected and you will be able to see the event under Menu > Analytics (new) > Reports > Custom events.
Tip: Read our guide Analytics for Advanced in which we explain how the event tracking works and share plenty of useful examples.