When you want to collect additional data about events that happen on your site or app, you need to create a custom event using a ready-made tag in Tag Manager. This tag will pass information about an event category, name, action and value to Analytics, and you’ll see it in a custom event report.
To create a custom event, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Tag Manager.
- Navigate to Tags.
- Click Add a tag.
- Name the tag and select the following type: Custom event.
- Click Next.
Action, and optionally
Valuethat you want see in reports for this event.
- In Advanced tag settings, choose Consent type. Set it up if you use a consent form on your site. This tag will fire only for visitors who accept the selected consent type.
- In Tag triggers, click Add a trigger or Choose existing trigger to set up a trigger for your tag.
- Adjust trigger conditions.
- When you’re done, click OK for the trigger.
- Click Save for the tag.
- Test your tag in debug mode.
- When you’re happy how the tag works, click Publish.
- Now your data is collected and you can see it the event under Menu > Analytics > Reports > Custom events.
- You can also see custom events under Analytics > Reports > Session log.
For developers: You can set up custom events manually by modifying the tracking code.