The custom event report shows stats for events that you track additionally. Most popular events are button clicks, menu item clicks, social media clicks, form submissions, and page scrolls. But you can track any other type of event.
Before any data appears in this report, you need to set up a custom event tag. If you’re not familiar with it, read our guide for advanced, which shows you various types of custom event tracking.
In the custom event report, you’ll see three sections that relate to labels used in a custom event tag:
- Event categories: A type of an event set in a custom event tag. It relates to a
categoryfield. This field is mandatory.
- Event actions: An action set in a custom event tag. It relates to an
actionfield. This field is mandatory.
- Event names: An action set in a custom event tag. It relates to a
namefield. This field is optional.
To view the report, follow these steps:
- Go to Menu > Analytics.
- Navigate to Reports.
- On the left, click Custom events.
- View the report.
- To access specific sections of the report, click the section name.
- Also, whenever you see a nested dimension in the report, you can click the dimension to dig deeper into data.
- If you want to see two dimensions in a single view, click + and choose a dimension.
Metrics in the report
In the custom event report, you’ll find the following metrics:
- Custom events: The number of tracked custom events.
- Unique custom events: The number of tracked unique custom events. Each unique combination of an event category, action, and name is counted once per session.
- Sum of custom event value: The total value of tracked custom events. It works when you set a value in a custom event tag.
You can apply segments to this report, export this report to a CSV, XML, JSON, or JSON (KV) file format, or customize the report.